Microsoft Project Server Review

Affordable and easy to use with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution purely for project management.

Basically, we use it to do project plans or schedules for our smaller or medium-sized projects.

What is most valuable?

The solution's ease of use is its most valuable aspect.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The solution is very affordable.

What needs improvement?

For the way we use the solution, it's fine. I can't think of anything specifically that I'd like to have improved now.

It would be useful if the solution allowed us to share files or project schedules. You may get that with the cloud version. However, it's not available on the on-premises versions.

It would be nice if there was a low cost version of the enterprise version, so something in between what we have now and enterprise. It would be perfect for those that don't want to go enterprise but still want to have the sharing project files capabilities.

I've been using the solution for quite a number of years. It's been about ten years at this point, in my estimation.

I believe the scalability is limited. A company wouldn't be able to expand it easily. You need to go to the next version, which is enterprise or cloud-based.

At our organization, we have five to seven people using the solution. It's mostly to do project schedules, so they are all consultants.

It's not that widely used. We probably will not look at using the current version much wider than it is. We'll probably go with a cloud-based version or enterprise version the next time we need to upgrade.

The technical support is okay. We've been satisfied with their level of service.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is not complex. The implementation itself is straightforward.

For us, our setup isn't that fancy. It is just a single laptop deployment and we just deployed the solution to a couple of laptops. There was no complexity whatsoever. The enterprise version may be more complex to set up.

You only need one person to manage the deployment process. In order to maintain it, you would only need one person who wouldn't need to even be on it full time.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We didn't need a consultant or integrator to assist us.

We're Microsoft customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

The solution is only a single cost per seat. There isn't a monthly or yearly subscription. It's only a few hundred dollars. It's pretty inexpensive.

There aren't any costs in addition to the standard fees.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

It's such a good product for running the modules.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten due to the fact that it does have some limitations. Otherwise, it's perfect.

More Microsoft Project Server reviews from users
...who compared it with Broadcom Clarity PPM
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
475,291 professionals have used our research since 2012.