Microsoft Project Server Review

Helps manage interactions and resource-leveling across multiple projects

What is our primary use case?

It performs very well. It's something I'm very familiar with. We use it for project management of hardware and software projects.

How has it helped my organization?

Traditionally, Microsoft Project has only been stand-alone, and we've never used it on a Web basis. Now we use it on a Web basis. It's been absolutely great in that sense, of being collaborative and also for resource-leveling, so that people can see at an instant just where everything is.

What is most valuable?

The key things are

• managing interactions
  • resource allocation
  • resource-leveling, enterprise

and as a collaborative tool, because we use it across multiple projects at a time.

What needs improvement?

I think they need more flexibility with licensing, because there are preconceived ideas that don't allow as much flexibility with the various licenses.

Stability is quite good. The only issue I have had in the past is if our internet connection is pretty slow, but that can happen for any package. Other than that, it's fairly good.

Very good. We haven't reached the limit yet, and we're using multiple projects across many sites. So it seems to scale quite well.

We are on online support, but we don't use it that often. We used it on two occasions, mainly to assist in setting up particular scenarios or to trace a bug or problem with the Web server.

The support was good and we have a direct connection with our support service.

We've always used Project to some extent, but it was more stand-alone rather than enterprise. Now we're on an enterprise scheme, it's much more helpful because we've got a global 3D view of projects.

There are several criteria I look for when selecting a vendor:

• ease of use
  • expandability
  • resource-leveling
  • cost of ownership, obviously
  • support needed.

They're the key things.

Very simple. I was reasonably familiar with Project in the first instance, but because we're using it online, Web-based, rather than an on-prem, it was minimal setup from our point of view.

Smartsheet, I think we looked at that. We looked at JIRA in the early phase, but that wasn't portfolio. It was just the normal JIRA bug tracking. We do use that in the company, but not for project management necessarily, more just task tracking.

What other advice do I have?

Research it thoroughly and try to match benefits, rather than just buying features.