Microsoft Project Server Review

Tracks time taken and budget status, but needs to be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing our internal projects, for tracking the status and progress of our projects in terms of schedules - that they are delivered on time - and that the expenditure is controlled.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to know what we are doing, how much we have spent, how much time we've taken, and it tells us how much money is left for the project. It also tells us whether we are below or above our expenditures, whether we are below or above our budget.

What is most valuable?

The graphical scheduling feature is very important for us.

What needs improvement?

It has to be more user-friendly. For instance, there should be some assistance, like when you go to certain sites, people pop up and say, "Can we help you? What are you looking for?" It's not interactive enough.

The stability is fine for our purposes.

Because our projects are medium size, it's capable of dealing with the details that we require. It's able to capture the critical details that we require at every stage.

Setting up is not that difficult.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution but it does have limitations, as I said: The real-time interactions with the user are absent. That is the only issue that I would mention. Otherwise, I would recommend it.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are that the product has to meet the budget. It has to be something we are able to afford and also it should address our specific needs.

I would rate it at seven out of 10 because it meets most of our requirements. And judging from the stakeholder's response, they are pretty happy with what we have been giving them as presentations.

1 Comment
David Tate, PMPReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

MS Project and it's associated apps(Server, Client, etc.) have never been very user friendly. But, then again, Project Management for anything other than relatively simple projects with only a few resources can get messy as well. A rich suite of options helps to support more advanced PM needs. I definitely would like to see more context sensitive help and or suggestions available.

04 September 19