Microsoft Project Server Review

What is our primary use case?

• Project metrics
  • Document management
  • Financial reporting
  • Resource management.

We use the data collected to manage project data, create and manage assignments and schedule via MS Project connectivity. We also track the current and future assignments for our resource to determine their availability and workload for current and future endeavors.

How has it helped my organization?

One source of truth for project metrics, management, and financial reporting. Through additional dashboards and reports, we have developed a way we can distribute project data and updated it to all of our stakeholders and customers.

What is most valuable?

• Project management
  • One consistently updated and backup/secured location for all project data
  • Accurate project metrics are critical to being able to manage our projects from a central database.

What needs improvement?

OOB reporting is not very robust. We have utilized SSRS, Excel Services and Qlik Sense to expand the OOB reporting capabilities. We use a hosted on-premise version so that we can have better direct access to the SQL server data.

More than five years.

MS Project standalone version and SharePoint repositories were our previous solutions.

Engage an experienced and highly rated vendor to help in the discovery and planning of the implementation. Project Server is better priced than many of the higher-end project management solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Training for the userbase is a primary concern. Make sure there is a great training plan in place to ensure the userbase can be productive very early in the process.