Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Review

The app that they provide works off Mac and Windows.

What is most valuable?

The ability to actually interface with a Windows desktop is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes things easier. The app that they provide you works off Mac and Windows. Even if I have my instance upon Azure or any other cloud platform, I can just use the normal Desktop Services app to give it an IP, the logon credentials, and just log in. It is done very easily.

Then it lets you into the VN. It creates sort of this window for you and allows you to interface with the VN. You can treat it as a separate window among your other apps. It actually works as a very good app on the underlying OS.

What needs improvement?

When I am connecting, I can do so from a Mac command line. However, to log in to a Windows server, I need to use this client. If Microsoft can find a way to remote into a Windows VN without using a client like this, that would be great.

I don't know how doable it is, or how easy it is to do, but maybe it's a limitation of the OS itself. Having a secondary app to log in to a remote VN is not ideal, but the app itself is very good.

We have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It is stable. It has never quit or crashed on me. It connects me to what I need.

Even if the VN is slow, it lets me know that the VN is slow and that there are issues with it. The app itself doesn't crash, which is good to know.

I don’t know whether it can scale to a large VN subset, or whether it can allow me the capability to log in to multiple VNs at the same time.

If that would work, I don’t know what the performance would be on it. I suspect that it wouldn't be that good. For personal use, it is a great app.

I haven't used their support at all. I never had the need to.

What other advice do I have?

I would say absolutely get this product. For enterprise usage, I don't know how viable it would be. I am not very aware of all the capabilities within that app.

The idea is that if you are setting up separate VNs, you have to click on to get connected to each VN. It doesn't sound intuitive to me.

If they have an enterprise offering that goes away from that experience, I think it would be usable. But for just managing your own VN form, it is real easy. It's a personal VN form.