Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Review

The most valuable features are resilience and thin provisioning.

What is most valuable?

• Resilience: Has alllowed our 24/7 acute hospital to run electronic prescribing on the wards with limited downtime or post-setup configuration.
  • Thin provisioning: Our core applications mean that our WiFi connected devices can drop-off the network without causing patient record locks.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled our clinical staff to get real-time medicine prescribing information at the patients' bedside with a near 100% service uptime.

What needs improvement?

I think that the Single Sign-On (SSO) could be improved.

At release time, there was not a lot of information around. We invested some long hours researching. The documentation from Microsoft was difficult to find. Now there are plenty of step-by-step guides around.

I have used it for four years.

Initially, the configuration I setup used DNS round-robin. This was changed to a NLB setup on our session hosts.

This has improved the stability of the clients' Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connectivity. It has given us granular control over stopping connections for downtime/maintenance windows.

We did not encounter any scalability issues.

We actioned this with a limited budget. We completed it all in-house with no external technical support other than searching on the internet and testing.

We run Citrix alongside this solution for our internet connected clients. Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (RDS) was used primarily over our LAN/WAN.

The initial setup was a little complex. Like any thin client setup, some applications are trickier than others.

I could not see the benefits of using Citrix as you require RDS CALs regardless. We see this solution as a very good value.

We evaluated Citrix.

What other advice do I have?

• We have found this to be very stable with a quite straightforward setup. However, Single Sign-On (SSO) certificates are a little fiddly.
  • Ensure that the underlying infrastructure is fully tested, robust, and scalable.
  • Our early problems stemmed from our hypervisor issues. Because clients only heard it was the RDS farm, I took a lot of heat on issues that were out of my control.

2008R2
More Microsoft Remote Desktop Services reviews from users
...who compared it with GoToMyPC
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.