Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Review

Easy to set up, performs well, and saves us money on hardware costs

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Remote Desktop Services for small-scale virtual desktop applications. It is utilized for normal desktop usage.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution saves us time and money because running applications directly on the server means that we can use lower-priced, entry-level computers for the users.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is performance. We run all of our applications on the server and access them using this product, which is must faster than upgrading all of the desktops.

What needs improvement?

It could be made simpler from a management perspective.

It should be easier to set it up for desktop printing.

We have been using Microsoft Remote Desktop Services for about five years. When we started using this product, it was called Terminal Services.

This product is quite stable and we have never had any problems with it.

Given our usage, we have not had to deal with scaling this product.

I've worked with VMware Horizon and Citrix before.

VMware Horizon is easier to manage, although the Microsoft product is easier to install than other solutions.

The initial setup is relatively easy. In that regard, Microsoft is easier to install than the VMware ones that I've worked with, as well as Citrix.

We set everything up ourselves and I haven't had the need to consult anybody else for technical support.

The pricing could always be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product works well, it is fine for the purpose that we use it, and I recommend it.

More Microsoft Remote Desktop Services reviews from users
...who compared it with GoToMyPC
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.