Microsoft System Center Review

Stable for overseeing operations systems; could be more user friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is to easily see the resources of our infrastructure and we use System Center for that. It allows us to simply review a situation and get a report about the operations systems for all users and know whether they need an upgrade or anything else. It allows us to manage and administer the infrastructure.

We're a government organization and I am the infrastructure and technical support manager. We have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft, and we're also a customer.

What needs improvement?

In our case, the solution would be improved if they migrated to a cloud version. There could also be some improvement in the environment, it should be more user friendly.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

I've contacted technical support a few times because I work with engineers, but we don't contact them for the simple issues. The problem is that when we do contact them they don't have a ready solution. Several times they've needed to update or patch things to make the solution work. We had an issue where users were unable to send or receive emails to their phones or mobile devices. It took a long time to solve that problem. They are willing to help, but there is too much delay. Problems need to be solved the same day, or the next day and it doesn't happen that way.

I believe that these days initial setup is relatively straightforward although it does require specialized IT engineers. If the environment was more flexible, more user friendly, it would be simple.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure I would use this product if I were building a new infrastructure now. I would be more likely to use VMware, Vsign, and Visualize. The tools of VMware cover everything. They are more advanced and have more tools and you can use it for everything in the infrastructure.

If you're using only Microsoft products then this is a good solution because you're working in a unified environment. The whole infrastructure functions better and you can monitor without problems. It makes life easier for the technicians and engineers in the company.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

More Microsoft System Center reviews from users