What is most valuable?
- The capability of employees to work from anywhere in the world on the corporate network
- Only a laptop with an internet connection and correct username/password are enough to be connected
How has it helped my organization?
Employees can work from home, branch offices or anywhere in the world together with employees in the firm.
What needs improvement?
- UAG wasn't that good, especially HTTPS access was slow.
- RAS, the new version is better, but still requires a good knowledge of network security
For how long have I used the solution?
- UAG: four years and I would rate it 5/10
- RAS: one year, and I would rate it 8/10
What was my experience with deployment of the solution?
- UAG: very slow user connections
- RAS:the cluster setup was a hassle and required lots of input from the network team
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
- UAG: pretty stable
- RAS: very stable
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
- UAG: once above 50 users it was hardly able to work
- RAS: up to 250 simultaneous connections with one 1 virtual machine and still performing well
How are customer service and technical support?
- UAG: very hard to troubleshoot, even for Microsoft support
- RAS: hasn't require support yet
- UAG: pretty thorough
- RAS: haven't had any experience yet
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
We still use RSA with SSL VPN as the backup solution for non-windows and laptops that don't belong to the company.
How was the initial setup?
- UAG: very complex, and lots of tweaking needed before it was working
- RAS: simple setup but still trained the network team as necessary
What about the implementation team?
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
It is included in our Microsoft premier contract, at no extra cost.
What other advice do I have?
Go through the documentation carefully and involve your network team.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Jan 26 2015