Microsoft Virtual Server Review

Good availability and great for running exchanges and managed services

What is our primary use case?

The typical use base varies due to the fact that, with our client base, we're here, there, and everywhere across the board. It all depends on what direction they want us to go and that we go, or suggest to go. The only places that we would use a virtual server is in an instance of running an exchange. I have also looked at it for running our managed services server on as well.

What is most valuable?

The greatest aspect of the solution is its capability to be available from anywhere.

The solution works well for running exchanges and managed services.

What needs improvement?

It's evolving so fast here now I don't know whether a guy can stay ahead of what the next thing should be. It's extremely difficult to keep up right now.

Support could always be a bit better. It's integral to a product. If it's not good, you end up shying away from the product itself. You want to feel assured that the company can help you if you run into trouble. Microsoft is beginning to lose popularity as it's becoming extremely hard to get a hold of anyone. It's a problem.

I've been using the solution for around five years or so. It's been a while at this point.

Most of our clients are small. I'd say 30 users and below. We do have some that are a little bit larger than that, however, predominantly under 50 is where it's at.

I'm not very familiar with the scalability aspect of the solution. It's not something I've dealt with head-on.

The technical support used to be better. These days, Microsoft support is getting harder and harder to reach. It's turning people off. We're less satisfied with it at the moment. Even if you have the proper licensing for the support it doesn't seem to make it easier to connect with them. Microsoft has lost all credibility on this front.

The initial setup can be a bit difficult, and often it's a time when you need to reach out to support.

It's like anything else that's hung out there on the internet. There's a lot of factors that come into play, and sometimes it's not the actual server that's causing the grief. It's the connection through it and all the rest of it.

We have about six people on staff that can assist with any maintenance.

In terms of licensing costs, it varies depending upon how much you need. It all falls together. What is advertised to get started really, in nine times out of 10, doesn't give you enough to run under for any length of time.

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using at this time. It's likely one of the latest versions.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Largely, it's a pretty good solution, however, technical support is really lacking right now.

More Microsoft Virtual Server reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, NextAxiom, Inuvika and others in Application Virtualization. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.