It was in 2004 when I first experienced Visual Studio 2003 as an IT student. Now that I am working as a programmer, I used the newer version which is Visual Studio 2008. Here are the few reasons why I chose .Net for so many years:
• I can create console, Windows form, Web Forms, Smart device and mobile applications, XML web and windows services using different languages such as Visual Basic, C#, J# and C++
• I love the drag and drop ability of the items and controls using Visual Designers
• I love the Toolbox with many useful and unique items that even Netbeans or Eclipse does not have such as Timer, DateTimePicker, Process Dialog and etc.
• I adore the integrated, highly professional looking Crystal in VS 2008 and later versions
• Express editions are free and suitable for students
Room for Improvement:
• Visual Studio.Net is only used for Microsoft Windows Operating system.
• Other than the express edition, Visual studio products are not for free.
• Crystal Report is not included in Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 and requires a separate download.
Being an educator and a programmer for 8 years, I can say that Visual Studio .Net is the best development tool for desktop and web applications. I am absolutely recommending Visual Studio .Net to my fellow programmers, web developers and even to students, hobbyists and new learners.