Microsoft Windows Defender Review

Gets updated with new security features on a regular basis but there is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Windows Defender for normal internet security. We use it to detect viruses. We have about 100 users.

What is most valuable?

We have liked the fact that it comes with Microsoft Windows 10 and it is constantly updated with all new virus definitions. It is also updated with new security features on a regular basis. We don't use any other third party products.

What needs improvement?

There is no behavior analytics for devices and endpoints. There is no behavior-based protection. It does not allow us to pull data from ransomware and zero-day attacks.

We have used Microsoft Windows Defender since 2010. We used Microsoft Essentials with Windows 7 then we upgraded to Windows 10. Since then we have used Microsoft Windows Defender.

Microsoft Windows Defender is stable.

We have had no issues with scalability.

We have not needed any support from Microsoft so far so there are not any complications with customer support so far.

Recently we tested another product that employs Endpoint Detection and Response and also behavior analysis protection. It also was able to filter activities or data. These are things that Microsoft Windows Defender does not do. We stayed with Windows Defender because of the cost.

Microsoft Windows Defender is easy to set up and easy to manage.

We were able to set it up in-house. We have two people in-house that manage Windows Defender.

What other advice do I have?

If you require Endpoint Detection and Response or Behavior Analysis and you can afford it then go with those products. I would rate Microsoft Windows Defender a seven out of ten.

More Microsoft Windows Defender reviews from users