Microsoft Windows Defender Review

Easy to use with great anti-malware features and quite stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it due to the fact that it comes with the Windows 10 bundle and is free. We use it for security purposes. It scans for viruses and malware for us.

What is most valuable?

The solution was highly ranked in the Gartner Report.

It's absolutely free to use.

The anti-malware features are great.

It doesn't use up a lot of resources on my laptop, so it's not slowing anything down.

The product is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The anti-ransomware features need to be improved upon.

I've been using the solution for about a year. I switched over when I updated my computer to Windows 10.

The solution is very stable. So far I haven't had any issues on my laptop. It uses very little resources. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches that I have noticed.  It's reliable.

I'm currently only using it on my laptop. I'm not sure if the solution can scale per se.

I will continue to use the solution, regardless of its scalability potential.

I've never had a reason to reach out to technical support, as the solution runs very well. As I've never contacted them, I can't speak to the quality of their service at this time.

I did previously try to use the free version of Avast. It's not really user friendly like Defender and it used to use a lot of my laptop's resources. I switched to Defender as it was also free and came with my Windows 10.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward. When you download Windows 10 it comes pre-loaded and ready to go. It's a default now. Previously, it was a little more difficult.

The solution is free. Once a user downloads Windows 10, they automatically get the product.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution. Why not, after all? It's already there within Windows 10 and is part of a user's Microsoft bundle.

Overall, I'd rate the product eight out of ten. If it had more ransomware protection, I'd rate it higher. As it is, the solution offers great malware features, is ranked pretty highly in Gartner and is easy to implement and use. Plus, it doesn't drain a lot of your machine's resources, which is a bonus.

More Microsoft Windows Defender reviews from users