Microsoft Windows Defender Review

Provides real-time security, but requires time to understand how it works

What is our primary use case?

We use MWD for detecting malware, viruses and protect from Ransomware.

How has it helped my organization?

We don't have third party software for EPS. We have started using Windows defender which is inbuilt one with windows to safeguard our systems from malware. It actually works as an anti-spyware program built to fight unauthorized access and protect our Windows computers from unwanted traffic.

What is most valuable?

Its a complete free version which came as in-built with windows and has no impact on our system performance. We don't need an extra software to be installed for security concerns and virus a such. It is very easy to use comparing to other available software's in the market.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see online updates for patches for this solution. I would also like to see online information about what is trending in the market in terms of spams, viruses, or trojans.

It takes some time to understand how this solution works. A few things are unclear at the beginning, such as whether it actually restricts the virus or spam at the initial stage, or when there is a security update, how will we come to know and how will it get synchronized. It would be really helpful if there is some kind of knowledge base in the form of video, audio, or document that can explain in a user-friendly way the setup, features, risks, and process to mitigate the risks.

Currently, I have installed endpoint security for every individual system. I could not install it like other endpoint solutions where we have a server and a client. It would be really helpful if Microsoft Windows Defender has a server-client based model so that I can save some bandwidth when it downloads or uploads features. It will be helpful if we have a LAN-based or WAN-based controlling system.

I have been using Microsoft Windows Defender for the last six months.

In my experience, Microsoft Windows Defender has never caused any issues as such. It is pretty much stable and has not affected the system resources as per my observation.

The solution is easily scalable. I'm always trying to increase the usage to maximize the capabilities of the product offering. As soon as new capabilities appear I will expand usage to include them.

We never contacted their technical support. Indeed Microsoft technical support has always been great.

I used to use McAfee & Norton as a different solution in my previous Organization.

Its initial setup is fine. I did not find it too complex. We just installed and enabled it on all the systems.

We implemented in-house.

I pay for it through the Windows Professional or Standard license. It is a one-time cost for me, and I use the same license.

What other advice do I have?

I would really recommend this solution because it is an in-built Microsoft product, and it is at the OS level. We don't require a new layer to install it as a software application.

I would rate Microsoft Windows Defender a seven out of ten.

Other