Microsoft Windows Server Update Services Review

Easy to deploy and identifies which updates are needed for each machine

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is installing Windows updates.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ability to identify which updates are needed on a particular machine.

What needs improvement?

When updates are displayed they are in one big list on the screen, and the naming convention isn't such that it groups them by the operating system. This makes it difficult because there are updates for Windows 7, Windows 10, and so forth, and I have to scroll through and select out the ones that are relevant to the operating system. Having the ability to group updates by the operating systems would be very helpful.

We have been using the Windows Server Update Services for a few months.

I use it on a daily basis and I would rate the stability an eight out of ten. While I haven't experienced any issues, I assume that they are there and I just haven't encountered them yet. At this point, we do not have any plans to increase usage.

The scalability seems to be appropriate. We don't have a big environment, although if we did, the sorting of the updates may be a bigger problem.

There are two of us in the company, myself and the system administrator, who are using this service.

I have not been in contact with Microsoft support, as there seems to be a lot of information about it available on the internet. This product is an industry-standard, and any product in this category is easy to find information on.

The initial setup was straightforward. I just downloaded a Udemy video series about how to install it. I followed those exact steps, it was accurate, and it was simple.

If you already have the server running then it requires adding the WSUS role. It will take between one and four hours to deploy.

I deployed this solution and am also doing the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, it accomplishes everything that I need to do.

More Microsoft Windows Server Update Services reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, HCL, Quest Software and others in Patch Management. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.