Microsoft Windows Server Update Services Review

Reduces internet traffic needed to keep my environment secure, but the integration with IIS needs to be fixed

What is our primary use case?

WSUS is used differently depending on the client and their requirements. For some clients, I only use this solution for security patches and updates. In some cases, I use Windows Updates and Windows Upgrades.

I have more than 4,000 clients and it is important to me to make sure that the upgrade process does not affect my third-party software. This means that for most of them, I stopped the upgrades and only use the WSUS security patch tool to keep up with the latest protection available for my environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a principle that you have to keep your environment updated because cyber attacks are changing on a daily basis and you have to protect your network. Without this tool, I would not be able to update my entire network manually.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the decreased level of internet usage by my network. When there is a new patch available, I can just connect my WSUS server to Microsoft, download the upgrades, and then use the internal traffic to upgrade all of the network clients.

WSUS allows me to choose what kinds of upgrades or updates that I need for my network. For example, I can download specific security patches for Windows Server or different versions of Windows.

What needs improvement?

There are some incompatibilities or conflicts between WSUS and IIS because sometimes when running WSUS, I have to stop my IIS and restart it in order to connect. I have searched Google on the issue and I have found that it is a common problem. This is something that Microsoft should solve in the next release.

I would like to see support for other operating systems such as Linux. If you install WSUS and there are other operating systems on the network like Linux Red Hat, Ubuntu, or Debian, then it should be able to update them. It would be amazing.

I have been using WSUS for more than two years.

Scalability is a good feature of the WSUS server.

I have not needed to contact the Microsoft helpdesk concerning WSUS.

The initial setup is very easy. It is a Windows Server feature and can be set up with a few clicks and a few simple settings.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Microsoft Windows Server Update Services reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, HCL, Quest Software and others in Patch Management. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.