MicroStrategy Review

User-friendly, good for innovation, and allows us to use external data sources

What is our primary use case?

We are using MicroStrategy in development and also for the web.

What is most valuable?

For our customers, Dossier is the latest for innovation and we like it a lot.

It's user-friendly, also the MTDI cube is a very good approach, as it helps you to use the pre-format instead of using the standard objects from the schema of MicroStrategy. It allows you to do more than the standard object.

We use a lot of data sources, and MicroStrategy allows us to use external data sources. This is very helpful. For example, we can connect to BigQuery, Oracle, and several other platforms.

What needs improvement?

The Dossier feature needs improvement. In the developer, there are things that you able to do in a document or a report that you are not able to do in the Dossier.

Some of the features that are in the developer should be moved into the web application.

There are some filtering capabilities on dynamic dates that are not easy to use in the Dossier.

There are features such as transformations that are harder to achieve than in the Data Studio. This is an area that needs some improvements.

I would like to have Hyper Intelligence that is free to use without a special license.

For mobiles, it should be easier to achieve without having to have a special license. Not everyone can afford to have a license for mobile and a separate license for the developer and the web.

Also, I would like to see something more in data mining and predictive analysis. In order to be able to build them, you need to have special skills. It would be easier to achieve, with some plugins, or some tutorials in place to help.

I have been working with this solution for thirteen years.

The tool is stable and scalable. We are testing each upgrade and even if some issues appear, hey are not show stoppers and our existing solutions are not afected.

We have an in-house team for deployment.

We have a license with packages, and there are additional costs for extra components.

I am a user and don't have all of the information regarding licenses and how they are acquired. I know this is a special contractual relationship between our managers and the team in the USA.

What other advice do I have?

I am certified in MicroStrategy 9 and 10 for data analysis and as a report developer.

We are trying to connect MicroStrategy and Data Studio to the Google Cloud Platform. We prefer MicroStrategy and are trying to convince clients to switch.

Google

More MicroStrategy reviews from users
...who compared it with Tableau
Learn what your peers think about MicroStrategy. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.