MicroStrategy Review

The product supports a broad range of analysis styles, but it struggles with schemas other than star or snowflake.

What is most valuable?

It’s very scalable, the most scalable BI platform that I know of. By that I mean data scalability as well as being able to support a large number of users. The product is mature and stable. It supports a broad range of analysis styles and presentation formats.

How has it helped my organization?

We have deployed multiple BI solutions using Microstrategy, ranging from standard reports to dashboards to ad hoc analytics.

What needs improvement?

Microstrategy works best against a star or snowflake schema. While in principle it can work with a more normalized data model, it struggles with schemas other than star or snowflake.

Over 3 years. It had been installed before I started with the company.

Nothing major

Nothing major

The tool itself scales well, however in our experience the scalability of the entire solution is 90%+ a function of the underlying database.

Customer Service: GoodTechnical Support: Good

We used Cognos before. The main reason for switching is that at the time when we made a decision to switch, Cognos was unable to handle the data volumes that we required. Latest versions of Cognos have improved in this respect.

I can’t comment on this because initial setup had been conducted before I joined the company.

We used a mix of MicroStrategy Professional Services and in-house staff. Their consultants were superb.

We don’t measure ROI.

It depends on how you count costs and what you include.

The other option was to stay with Cognos.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your database design follows dimensional modeling principles. Avoid API-level customizations, they may break when upgrading product versions.