MicroStrategy Review

You can copy panel stacks inside RS documents and attach images directly to a dashboard. The developer should be completely redesigned.

What is most valuable?

Recovering session finally works for all report types. Also, fundamental issues with ODBC causing involuntary restarts has been resolved. It has a couple of very useful end-user and developer features, such as copying panel stacks inside RS documents and the ability to attach images directly to a dashboard. They are pretty useful.

How has it helped my organization?

End users are able to work more on their own, so it lowers the cost of BI department.

What needs improvement?

The developer is a long-ago obsolete tool. Its interface and functions should be completely redesigned. The fact is not only is the user interface far obsolete (for more than 10 years), it is also quite often repeating tasks like dragging because it handles the actions incorrectly (like moving objects from report objects are to a grid). Also, it does not work properly when the resolution is too high, and the integration architect tool is far from being bug free.

They are working on a new tool with codename Workstation so we will see.

I have used it for three months.

We encounter fewer stability issues now (version 10.3 hf2); before that, there were pretty serious issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is getting better; there has certainly been progress over the past year, but it still could be so much better.

We switched because MicroStrategy is the most-advanced and feature-rich tool.

Each release (even a minor one) is unique, so initial setup is definitely complex; each installation has its own specifics.

Negotiate at least a 30-40% discount.

We also evaluated SAP BusinessObjects and Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

Get a person who has some skill and has already done several installations.