Microstrategy logo 80x80

MicroStrategy Review
It respects Dimensional Data Modelling basics and provides features and options that make sense accordingly.

Valuable Features

I think the tool respects the Dimensional Data Modelling basics and provides features and options that make sense accordingly, while also continuously trying to add exciting and user-friendly features, and being successful.

Improvements to My Organization

In all of the projects for various clients I have worked for, MicroStrategy has improved their functions, as it automates publishing for reports, addresses security, replaces multiple legacy systems with one central system, reduces the maintenance, provides better analytical power to users by letting them slice, dice and drill into the data. The tool provides one of the best pixel-perfect dashboards in the industry, appealing and pleasing to eyes.

Room for Improvement

Data blending needs more improvement; it should let us use all of the general options seamlessly.

Use of Solution

I have used it for nine years.

Stability depends on the particular environment we are in; such issues can be resolved by getting help from MicroStrategy Support.

As with stability, scalability depends on the particular environment we are in; such issues can be resolved by getting help from MicroStrategy Support.

For MicroStrategy support, I give 8 out of 10.

I used SAP BusinessObjects before, but MicroStrategy is more robust and has very professional support.

Initial setup is very straightforward. They also provide cloud services for smaller clients who don't have their own infrastructure or don’t want to spend a lot on building infrastructure.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Honestly, I don't know much about pricing of other products, so I cannot compare, but I heard that MicroStrategy is expensive compared to its competitors. But, a company has to go over what they need and what they get through MicroStrategy and decide if it’s worth paying a little more for quality.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options that much; just based on my previous experience.

Other Advice

It's a great product and you can get the most out of it by following the data modelling principles and BI standards. So, plan from the beginning to have an ideal model, even though it takes more time or needs new work.

1 Comment

Anonymous avatar x30
Richard PriceReal User

I agree with the Dimensional Modeling capabilities within the tool. Parent-Child relationships are easily defined (including M-M & Joint Child relationships). The ability to create table alias with one click is a handy feature, too. Hierarchies and Drill Paths provide ease of navigation within the attributes and data.

The MicroStrategy Project Design Guide (any version will do) provides one of the best, most easily understandable explanation of dimensional modeling I've ever come across. In fact, I've kept my original hardcover version from their v5 edition as a resource I lend to anyone I'm teaching modeling to.

Like (0)04 November 16
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About MicroStrategy?

Our experts can help. 242,522 professionals have used our research on 5,991 solutions.