MicroStrategy Review

Blending and mashing enables business users to access different data sources, and combine them to create reports and visualizations.

What is most valuable?

• Visual insights:
    • For ad-hoc and self-service visualization
    • Faster user adoption
    • Connection to different sources
    • Data blending / mashing: Blending and mashing is valuable since users right now are currently tied up with the traditional way of getting data from databases prepared by IT. This feature will enable business users to immediately have access to different data sources, whether from IT or from their personal files, and allows them to combine these sources, and create reports and/or visualizations quickly and easily.
      Saves time and empowers business users.
    • Visual data discovery / data visualization
  • Developer: object-oriented BI modelling
  • Web services: building highly customized BI applications
  • Mobile: pixel-perfect mobile dashboards, building mobile apps
  • Object manager: migrations
  • Security: complete and secure for enterprise scale

How has it helped my organization?

• As a consulting firm: delivering BI solutions to customers effectively and efficiently at an enterprise level

What needs improvement?

• Developer: Simplify BI modelling features to increase learning curve and user adoption.
  • Data visualization: Improve and add visualizations and features to prepare BI apps. Reduce clicks and steps.

I have been using it for 3-4 years, including earlier versions (9.2).

We have encountered minimal stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer support is great but can still improve TAT.

We did not switch from a previous solution. We use Tableau, Microsoft and MicroStrategy depending on the needs or requirements of the customer.

The setups I have done are all single-server deployments, both in Linux and Windows:

• I-Server
  • Mobile server
  • Web server

Further simplify the licensing scheme:

• Architect is expensive
  • Match or beat the pricing of Tableau
  • Tableau is still cheaper

All products have been used depending on the customer.

What other advice do I have?

At the enterprise level, MicroStrategy is good but requires a longer learning curve to fully maximize the platform as compared to other traditional BI tools and niche products such as Tableau.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a business partner of MicroStrategy in the Philippines. Re-seller, SI and SP.