Microstrategy logo 80x80

MicroStrategy Review
Even non-IT personnel can create reports. I would like to see web and desktop functionality be reconciled.

Valuable Features:

It is very easy for non-IT personnel to create (grid) reports. And once the report is created, the user can switch rows, columns, and add filters. This avoids the creation of a lot of reports that have just a different look.

The drill-down functionality is also very good.

Improvements to My Organization:

It did not really change the way the organization works. But it has improved our budgeting process. It also gives us a better overview of our warehouse management.

Room for Improvement:

It has two versions: web and desktop. Some changes can be done with the web tools and some change can be done with the desktop tool. Reconciling the two tools to make all functionality available in all tools would be a great improvement.

The graphs available for the new dashboard of version 10 are weak. You can include all the 3D graphs that you find, but you have to find them and include them or develop them yourself. By default, you should have at least the same possibilities for the graph so that you can add in a document. For the moment, I still use the document because I did not find a line graph that can use multiple metrics and multiple categories.

Use of Solution:

I have personally used it for three years now. The company I am working for has used it for four years.

Stability Issues:

We have not had stability issues, but we are a small group and we do not use the mobile functionalities.

Scalability Issues:

We have not had scalability issues, but we are a small group.

I find technical support very responsive. If they do not know the answer, they search for it until they find a solution that solves your problem. The community site has also a lot of information

Previous Solutions:

I am an external consultant and I know the Microsoft BI suite. I also worked a bit with QlikView. The company that uses MicroStrategy had no other tools before it.

Initial Setup:

I was not there at the initial setup. I found it easy to add some new attributes, facts, and metrics.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I am not in charge of licensing. They made a change in the licensing module some time ago and we can now use all the enterprise tools for free. This was a big improvement. We are using a name license. The advantage is that these licenses can be used on all environments.

Other Solutions Considered:

I was not there for the initial choice. But I know they had a PoC on SAP BusinessObjects and Microsoft BI.

Other Advice:

If you use MicroStrategy on top of a data warehouse, put all the code translation in a snowflake schema. The reason is that often the last pass of the process translates the code into labels and it is easier if these labels are in separate tables.

Install the enterprise manager tools and projects at the beginning. You can create a lot of objects and you need to know which one is used. This tool is not perfect, but it will give you an overview of the utilization of MicroStrategy.

0 Comments