MicroStrategy Review

It has provided the ability for end users to self-service on ad-hoc reports.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create VI’s which are easy for front end users to manipulate in order to see the data they wish to see.

Visual Insight allows the developer to create reports and/or cubes as the foundation and the end user can easily pull any of the metrics and attributes into the report, graph or other visualization without requiring technical reporting knowledge. This really gives the end user the ability to manipulate the data as they see fit. They can see as little or as much detail as the report/cube allows.

How has it helped my organization?

The ability for end users to self-service on ad-hoc reports.

What needs improvement?

Instead of using a lot of table joins within MSTR, we have had to rely on ETL for those same reports and then expose that view/report in MSTR. A couple of reasons for this are slowness when running the report inside MSTR and difficulty in setting up left joins when using multiple tables.

We have been using the solution for about three years.

We have not encountered any stability issues. Only a few outages that have always been resolved quickly.

Scalability issues have been the most significant which we have faced.

This is not an area I have to deal with much but from what I have heard it seems to be good.

We previously used SSRS. We still use this sometimes but have been working to transition to MSTR. MSTR gives the end users more flexibility when looking at reports.

The setup was complex. Our warehouse was completely rewritten in order to fit the MSTR model.

We have no specific comments regarding this issue.

We evaluated others but I was not part of that decision making so am unaware of other options being looked at.

What other advice do I have?

Find other companies who are willing to share their experience and the lessons learned when setting up their environments.