MicroStrategy Review

The option to use various administrative tools, like Integrity Manager, is a valuable feature

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, as a developer, I am administering user privileges and creating reports for analysts and clients.

The product is performing great.

How has it helped my organization?

It has greatly benefited our organization. We have a lot of products based on it. We license products from MicroStrategy to clients, therefore it is pretty important.

We started with Self-Service and now we are actually restricting Self-Service. What we do is give access to prompted reports for clients and we control ACLs on those objects. It feels like Self-Service because they are picking what they are using in the report, but they are not actually getting to the semantic layer.

What is most valuable?

The option to use various administrative tools, like Command Manager, System Manager, and Integrity Manager.

I prefer having the analytic capabilities all in one place, such as a single platform.

What needs improvement?

Something I would be interested in is more visualizations, because right now we use SDK to create some. If there were more out-of-the-box options, we would be happy with that.

Three to five years.

Stability is great, especially with package deployments. It is very consistent and stable.

We have not had any issues with it. Usually, a client selects only a couple of users, so we are not up to the thousands.

I have not personally used technical support, but people on my team have.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but I have implemented upgrades.

Upgrades seem like they are straightforward now. A couple years ago, they were a bit more complicated. There were unknown changes and they would do version releases, then sometimes things would break and they would have hotfixes. However, when we were less mature, it was harder because we did not have the right Integrity Manager tests and automated tests that we really rely on, so it was very manual back then.

What other advice do I have?

We will not be investing in mobile analytics. We work in healthcare, and the data is sensitive. We do not want people on the move with healthcare data.

Do not give clients access to Self-Service or the entirety of everything, such as the semantic layering and creating reportings. It is a headache if you do it.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The ability to have multiple roles within the organization use it and being able to restrict it. For instance, there is consumer level access that business users can use, but then IT can use its tools and keep it separate but all within the same technology.