MicroStrategy Review

An integral part of our financial decision-making, predictive analytics is key

What is our primary use case?

Data analytics, as a reporting tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It's integral enough to make financial decisions in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is predictive analytics. We also have some users that love using self-service.

In 2018, I think the most utilized MicroStrategy capability, for us, will be dashboarding.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of anything.

More than five years.

I think it's rather stable now, compared to where I come from. Earlier versions of MicroStrategy weren't so stable. Around v7's, they weren't as stable as they are now.

I think with all the APIs it's very scalable, although ours is a relatively new company so we haven't scaled yet.

In the last three years, I have probably opened three tickets. However, they do not get back to you quickly at all. The longest I waited for them to get back to me was a week.

Historically, MicroStrategy has been a technical solution. You could just call and get somebody on the phone. Now, you never know if you should call or you should open a ticket online. And then, if you get the ticket open, is someone going to call you back? The last couple of weeks been better. Last year, I complained to MicroStrategy quite a bit about the technical support.

I do love the tech notes, I do love the online community. I think that's very helpful.

I've been using MicroStrategy for 20 years but I've used Cognos, I've used Crystal, and there used to be another reporting tool called Eureka Suite. I've worked with Tableau too. It was a company decision to switch.

It's straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We have not invested in the mobile platform, but we do plan on it, towards the end of the year.

When selecting a vendor, I appreciate customer service. That's the best thing. No matter how difficult the tool is, as long as you have good customer service, it'll take care of itself.

I would rate it an eight out of 10, because I think they're still lacking on customer service. I think historically, MicroStrategy's customer service was a lot better than it is today.

I would definitely recommend MicroStrategy over anything I've worked with before. And I worked with Tableau too. If you want some pretty designs, Tableau is a good tool, but other than that, as far as analytics, it's definitely MicroStrategy.