MicroStrategy Review

Our underwriters love the transactional side to assess risk, but the performance needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

There are two use cases. One is on the transactional side. As we're doing insurance transactions, we're using the transactional side to assess risk on each transaction. On the portfolio side, we're looking at the whole portfolio of insurance risk.

Underwriters love the transactional side.

The performance: We've thrown a lot of data at it, and now we're trying to improve the performance. But the underwriters love the content that's being delivered. On the portfolio side, we're just starting the launch, but underwriters seem to be responding well to it.

How has it helped my organization?

The goal is for all of our underwriters to see the risk of a property the same way. If I have 30 underwriters, they should all see and measure the same risk. With all of our modeling, we create a lot data. But with these dashboards, we're giving the same direction. So, underwriters are coming to the same risk conclusions on all of our risks.

What is most valuable?

Delivery, meaning the ability to create aesthetically pleasing information by providing dashboards.

In terms of self-service, we have an ad-hoc platform, where you can build portfolio reports on your own, so that's already released.

The capability of MicroStrategy that I believe we are going to be utilizing most in 2018 is mobile. We're trying to get to launch. We're having issues with legal, around the app store, those types of things.

What needs improvement?

• Tighter mapping integration.
  • More Writeback capabilities that would allow our IT department not to be worried about the wild, Wild West of Writeback.

We did have issues with stability, and that was because we were co-located with another business unit, and we outgrew them on the unit. So we had to get to a separate physical instance.

There have been scalability issues which I attribute more to architecture than the tool. Meaning, we weren't leveraging capabilities that allow for the scalability, so we're incorporating them now.

I'm on the business side, the design of the metadata and the like; on the hardware and that type of stuff, I don't get involved.

What other advice do I have?

We favor a single platform for this type of solution, versus a many-points solution like Cognos. Single point is always easier.

What I appreciate most in a vendor is when they bend over backwards. MicroStrategy does that, when I approach them.

I give it a seven out of 10, and the reason is, underwriters love the content. The performance isn't where I need it to be. When I get to the less than five seconds per click, it will be a 10.

In terms of advice, you need to think abstractly enough so that it becomes a metadata layer that's usable for all of the things you want.