MicroStrategy Usher Review

Excellent security platform for an enterprise setup

What is our primary use case?

I'm the head of business intelligence for infrastructure and operations at a large bank. We are a customer of MicroStrategy. Our primary use case of the solution is for enterprise data management as well as self-service and mobile. We also use transaction services for apps.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would probably be the self-service and the dossier components as well as the hyper-intelligence.

What needs improvement?

I think they are working on improvements and are in the process of changing the development to be more GUI-based rather than code-based. I think that will be good, we're waiting for that transition. I think the skills needed now are very niche and quite low level and they need to simplify the development aspect of it.

They have a feature called transaction services and as an additional feature, I'd like to see that in the dossier, which is your build-it-yourself front-end. If we can get to where you can build forms and write back and transaction services from that interface, it would be great.

We've been using the product for six years.

The newer versions of the product are far more stable than the older ones. We haven't had any problems.

It's definitely a scalable product, we've been able to scale to over 5,000 users. That includes finance people, IT, business users, service management, and also our HR department. They all use it.

Technical support is very good.

We previously used Microsoft Reporting Services and SharePoint. We switched because I think the self-service component was a very big factor for us as well as the data governance component which was key for our needs. The semantic layer that MicroStrategy has, is what we were after.

It was pretty straightforward. We're a large organization and we used a partner and were able to deploy in three months.

I can't comment on setup cost but we pay an annual maintenance fee and that includes support and upgrades.

Prior to purchasing we had a look at QlikView, at Microsoft Business Intelligence, and we looked at Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of visualization tools, but not many enterprise BI tools. If you are going to run an enterprise shop for a big organization, don't pick the small tools designed for small team reporting otherwise you're going to really encounter barriers. MicroStrategy fits best in an enterprise setup.

I would rate this product a nine out of ten.

More MicroStrategy Usher reviews from users