MicroStrategy Usher Review

Ease of development, good visualization, and good reporting help us to get more out of our data

What is our primary use case?

MicroStrategy is an application which is used to give a proper reporting of data. It can be used to visualize, analyze, and make something more out of the data. This is precisely what we are doing in our environment. We are generating reports that cover several years and adding some meaning to the data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of development in MicroStrategy. For example, we can treat URLs as objects, which is very easy to use for end-users, business analysists, or other professionals. Anyone can find it very easy to develop.

The number and type of different settings that can be used for optimizing pulled data are valuable. For example, if a report is taking a lot of time to retrieve data from the database, there are settings in MicroStrategy that we can change to help.

As a BI tool, it is helpful in finding different templates for the users and using the same standard operating procedures on how to operate different pulls and micro strategies.

What needs improvement?

The documentation of how to make different connections to different databases needs to be more centralized. It becomes confusing when we have to search for this information on Google and elsewhere.

I would like to see more clarity with respect to the cloud integration because it is a hot topic right now.

I have been using this solution for about a year and a half.

There are a lot of issues that occurred while I was using MicroStrategy. We created some cases that caused problems and we had some discussions with them over the course of time. We found some answers to the problems, but we found some that were the fault of the product. I think that it was about 50-50 in terms of whether the problem was solvable. MicroStrategy was told about the limitations in the product and I think that they will be fixed in future releases of the solution.

This product is easily scaled. We can use it for 100 users or we can use it for over 10,000 users, depending on the licenses.

We currently have between 800 and 1,000 employees.

The technical support for this solution is good. We normally reach out of them by email and then we can set up a WebEx meeting.

In general, the initial setup is pretty straightforward. There are some issues related to the setup that make it a bit complex, but overall, it is a simple setup process.

Using the documentation, we were able to perform the installation on our own.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say if any user or any set of users are looking to get more insights from the raw data that they have collected over the course of years, one of the best BI tools in terms of analytics and data management would be MicroStrategy. You can develop pretty much everything from scratch. If you are looking to get more meaningful information out of data, I would recommend this solution.

From an architectural perspective, this is a good solution. However, there are a few things that can be improved.

More MicroStrategy Usher reviews from users