MikroTik Routers and Switches Review

Routers and switches that are easy to configure with applications, but it could be more stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I configure and implement WiFi internet and wide area networks using MikroTik Routers and Switches. I also use it for connectivity with end-users and for implementing a firewall and routing protocols.

What is most valuable?

I think they have very strong routers because they have multiple processors. I like its easy configuration with applications. For example, configuration with Linux, Iptables, and routing protocols.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be better. They don't have good support like Cisco. It can also be more stable and scalable.

I have used MikroTik Routers and Switches within the past 12 months. I have vast experience with this solution. I have implemented it in other enterprises and also worked with my partners that have enterprises.

The stability of their switches is very poor. It doesn't have a good score with Spanning Tree Protocol, and it's very difficult to implement.

Scalability is very hard to implement because when I connect through the links, the network isn't going back.

Technical support could be better. MikroTik Routers and Switches don't have technical support in the cloud.

We use MikroTik Routers, but for switches, we use Cisco or Huawei. Clients prefer Cisco, Huawei, and McAfee, depending on their budget. MikroTik's equipment is very cheap.

It's easy to implement, but it's very hard to fix it when we have trouble. Depending on the project, it usually takes four days to implement this solution.

I implemented this solution in universities, banks, and commercial centers. We have two or three people in charge of deployment and maintenance.

MikroTik's equipment is very cheap compared to Cisco and Huawei.

What other advice do I have?

The routers are very good, and they are very cheap. We can buy a lot of these routers for backup.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give MikroTik Routers and Switches a six.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementer
More MikroTik Routers and Switches reviews from users
...who work at a University
...who compared it with Cisco Enterprise Routers
Learn what your peers think about MikroTik Routers and Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.