MikroTik Routers and Switches Review

A small and robust unit that is straightforward to install and has lots of features

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our customers.

Our primary customers are Fiber to the home (FTTH), which are small customers who are connecting by fiber.

What is most valuable?

We have found this solution is quite robust and there are a lot of features in a small device.

The dimensions of this unit are quite good.

You do not need extra licensing to use all of the features.

What needs improvement?

In the Israeli market, we are in need of Hebrew support. We would like a Hebrew GUI or something that can translate it. We need this because when we remotely support end-users, they do not always speak English. Hebrew would be lovely.

There are a lot of issues regarding the power supply.

The interface for this solution is in need of a dashboard. Thinking about somebody who is in control of hundred of small routers, they need a way to manage all of them.

We have been using this solution for approximately two years.

This solution is ninety percent stable. The defects are coming from instability with the power system, and there are a lot of issues regarding that.

Most of the errors occur when the system shuts down incorrectly. Otherwise, there are not a lot of bugs.

For our purposes, we are not concerned with scalability.

We do not use technical support for this solution. We read articles and have been able to do the support ourselves. We do use the forums and the internet for searching for answers.

I am familiar with solutions by Aruba. The MikroTik routers and switches are not as well known in the Israeli market.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

The deployment takes approximately twenty minutes for the technician to implement one house. It is a matter of connecting and doing some basic enrollment.

Our technician performs the deployment for our customers.

In our last project, we used two hundred units and the price was approximately 500 Shekels ($140 USD).

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that this is a small package with huge features and you should try it on your own.

The biggest lesson that I learned from this solution is that we underestimated the power and value of MikroTik. We primarily implemented Cisco and Aruba solutions, but since then, we have found that MikroTik can be used in place of these bigger brands.