MikroTik Routers and Switches Review

Good load balancing and multi-routing with a good user interface

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution as a firewall, and for routing purposes, and for multi-band load balancing.

What is most valuable?

The load balancing is very good.

The solution offers very good multi-routing.

The firewall is very good.

For the interface, I always use Winbox.

What needs improvement?

The MikroTik weblog, web user log, was supposed to be remotely accessible. However, it was not as good as I had wanted it to be. I found its functionality disappointing. There's no proper interface. They show only IPs but not the DNS address or complete address. It only shows the IP addresses. Also, they only show real-time data and not the history of the user's log address. We would like to see a history on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.

The solution needs to improve its security firewalls and mirror that of, for example, Sophos, or FortiGate.

The solution needs to focus on UTM in its devices.

I have about five years of experience working with this solution.

We've found the stability of the solution to be good enough.

The solution is quite easy to scale. We haven't had any problems expanding the solution when we need to.

I've never contacted technical support. If I have issues with the solution, I try to handle it myself. So far, I've never needed anyone else's assistance.

I've previously used FortiGate and Fortinet devices. They have very good security and firewalls.

The initial setup is a little bit complex for beginners. It's difficult to install the router and for initializing from the beginning all of the configurations we need, like setting up the initial firewall rules, for example.

If a user knows all the basic steps, the deployment only takes about ten to 15 minutes.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of an integrator or reseller.

What other advice do I have?

I'd warn others that a tutorial or a bit of learning is required before beginning. It helps if a user has a bit of understanding about the solution. There's some complexity in the terminologies and surrounding the initial implementation process.

Overall, it's a good product, but it requires a bit of improvement, especially in relation to UTM and security.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

More MikroTik Routers and Switches reviews from users
...who work at a University
...who compared it with Cisco Enterprise Routers
Learn what your peers think about MikroTik Routers and Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.