MindTouch Review

Customer support is terrific. The team is personable, informed, and responsive.

What is our primary use case?

Technical writing in the software industry. Writing includes developer guides and API guides.

How has it helped my organization?

MindTouch (MT) is the only real HTML authoring tool that has the sophistication technical writers need. MT is also a CMS to handle version control.

What is most valuable?

• Simple editing features
  • Single sourcing
  • Intelligent link searching
  • The ability to edit the HTML, as well as the WYSIWYG.

What needs improvement?

The doc status is non-functional. MT would greatly benefit by providing a GitHub pull request functionality to foster draft mode and open contribution writing.

Three to five years.

Sometimes, but MT communicates support issues if you subscribe.

Yes. If you have hundreds of books, the initial download is slow.

Customer support is terrific. The team is personable, informed, and responsive. Asking for new features is not quite that way, but every other kind of support question is handled beautifully.

Previously, we had to create all the functionality, which was already in MT.

We had a custom setup that cost us some money.

Initial setup with by MT. We have handled it in-house from there.

Tech writers will enjoy MT. Developers less so. For some reason, they prefer the Stone Age writing tools, like text editors and writing Markdown, or Confluence wiki.

MT has the network effect that comes from being a CMS. Your docs go on their servers and getting them out is difficult, especially if you want to switch to another authoring format, e.g., Markdown. There are no converters and an automated extraction of the docs from the CMS is not available.

Yes, but MT was the only HTML authoring tool of any value.

What other advice do I have?

One of the biggest missing pieces is a link checker.