Mist Access Points Review

Fast, with good availability and good management

What is our primary use case?

Our customer's primary use case is internet connectivity.

What is most valuable?

If you compare wired versus wireless, it's convenient. You don't need to have one place for connectivity. You can move around and it's easier. Sometimes it's a hassle to work with wires, which is why wireless is so convenient.

The solution offers good availability.

The connection is very fast.

From a network administrator's point of view, visibility and management are good.

What needs improvement?

There seems to be different versions of standards used in the wireless access points. In the future, it would be helpful if the solution could come up with some kind of universal standard for all devices and all access points.

The wireless radio power needs adjustment. Different countries have different power ratings in decibel levels. While one country may have certain levels, another country will have different ones. All countries should have one standard of controlling power levels and frequencies. That way, it will be easier for us to plan with different brands.

We don't specifically use the solution; we're integrators and we sell it to clients.

The solution is scalable as long as the network is planned properly. If the planning is done correctly, the signal won't drop in and out.

The level of scalability a user will get from Mist depends on the way they plan everything. If a company doesn't plan its wireless network properly, then it will have issues. The capacity and the distance for which an access point can serve depends on the network planning.

If it is planned properly then it'll run smoothly. If not, it's possible that a company will have issues that will be very difficult to trace. For example, sometimes they will have the connectivity they expect, and sometimes they will not. All of a sudden the connections may drop. Moving from one location to another, the connection may disappear. Therefore, it's really important to plan.

While there may be members of my team that have contacted technical support in the past, I personally have not, so I can't speak to how reliable they are. I just don't know.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. When it comes to installation, usually, if you're familiar with the product, it doesn't matter which brand or which model you are handling. The installation and connection are typically more or less standard across different brands.

Most of the time you do need some technical background to handle implementation. You need to have some way of accessing the control interface of the access point in order to enable it.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner.

We work with different deployment options depending on the customer. If the company is isolated to one or two access points in a place, we probably will use the cloud. If it is a big organization, where internal traffic is heavy, we might use on-premise controllers. Sometimes, maybe a hybrid is necessary. It depends on the customer.

I would advise other companies to plan the solution's implementation properly and do some background study because there are certain access points banned from certain countries. They need to know which product you can use. Then they need to have an idea about the limitations because there are capacity limitations and distance limitations for any access point. After that, it's important to plan inside the building (in terms of layout). How the access points are arranged will depend on where the walls are as well as the ceiling height. Every company needs to do some background study and plan properly with suitable technical consultation.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten mostly because there are certain limitations in wireless. There are certain cases where you need to go wired. If there's a very high bandwidth requirement, there are distance limitations, if there is a server requirement, or if there are any deep securities required, you can't use wireless.

More Mist Access Points reviews from users