MongoDB Review

A stable solution with schemaless architecture and sharding feature

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a data warehouse, and we also use it for software development when we are not sure how much and what kind of data we would get from the customers. For a short span of time, we also use it for the data lake to dump the data of a temporary instance so that the developers on the next node can leverage this data.

What is most valuable?

I like the schemaless architecture that it follows. I also like the sharding that it provides.

What needs improvement?

Its security features can be better. Sometimes, my higher authority says that we are not going to use MongoDB because it doesn't provide that much security for the RDBMS or relational data that we use for transactions. Instead of MongoDB, we will use Oracle Database because for a transactional service, you have to rely on RDBMS ACID properties.

I would love to work on MongoDB by using my mobile phone. When I am working remotely or traveling and have some instances deployed on my server, I should be able to check through my mobile whether all the data is being pulled. GitHub has a similar feature, where it lets you read from the laptop, and you can also pull and push with your mobile phone. I would request MongoDB to provide such a feature. Basically, I want a mobile version for both iOS and Android versions.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

Currently, we have about 1,000 to 5,000 employees all over India. Most of us are using MongoDB for internal projects.

When I was getting trained in the data engineering field, there was a saying that if we run after the technical support, we won't be able to see a bug in our own code. Since then, our superiors or colleagues don't suggest going for technical support. If anything goes wrong, we just troubleshoot it on our own, and we have done that successfully.

What other advice do I have?

When we provide solutions for a customer, we look at the domain in which we are working, and accordingly, we recommend or select a database. It is up to the customers which database they want to use and how they are going to use it and leverage the subscription of that database. Do they want Oracle, MySQL, or SQL Server? Based on their preferences, we select the database.

For people or businesses that are currently trying to put their feet in the industry, it is a good thing to start their career with MongoDB. Sometimes, you don't have the knowledge of SQL and how to put a query to get a result. In MongoDB, there are certain things that make it different from other solutions. It is schemaless, and you don't have to have the knowledge of schemas. It is a good way to go ahead.

I would rate MongoDB a nine out of ten.

More MongoDB reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle NoSQL
Learn what your peers think about MongoDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.