MongoDB Review

Allows a lot more scalability and is completely open-source

What is our primary use case?

We used MongoDB to implement a healthcare application into the Amazon Cloud. We deployed that architecture within the South African public health care sector.

What is most valuable?

One feature that we found most valuable is that it is completely open source - this was majorly important. Because we worked for a nongovernmental organization we had to work with only open source tools. So that was a big selling point for MongoDB. We also needed a document-based DB to build this FHIR application on top of, MongoDB offers.

Another major selling point was that they're massively scalable. The fact that unlike relational databases, MongoDB allows a lot more scalability and it was more suited for the type of data that we were storing, which was semi-structured healthcare data. It provided very nicely for the standards that we were working - FHIR - which could be interfaced with JSON and Mongo. It had very good JSON capability and storage. Overall, it was a combination of what we were trying to store and the scalability in terms of being able to store a lot of this information over time.

What needs improvement?

We were quite happy with the product and the actual use of it. We had no particular problem.

In the future, if they could look into supporting FHIR better. FHIR is a healthcare standard. I don't know what that would mean, but, we had to implement a layer on top of it that implements FHIR. But if MongoDB can look into implementing that would be useful.

The two things that were very important for us were basically performance and compatibility.

I have been using this product for about a year.

It is very stable.

We had issues. It wasn't operationalized yet, but our feeling was that it was easy to set up and easy to operate and very stable. So I would say our compatibility and performance are the two things that came up that I know in the project we had problems with. The rest wasn't at any point an issue.

It's massively scalable. It is very scalable in terms of being able to store a lot of this information over time.

In terms of how many users are using this solution, it was a large database with many objects being pumped into it. But, for our purposes, it was just not necessarily the number of users, but the amount of automation being integrated

It was used by the Provincial department of health, or country. So it was basically the nine provinces in South Africa. And each of them had it. It was all the HIV and TB data for all the departments of health in South Africa. It was big.

I can't recall any issues that our technical team ever had. My feeling was that they were satisfied.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was a pleasure to work with, for everyone. So setting it up, getting up and running, pumping data into it, and actually looking and querying the data was super simple. We were up and running within an hour. We could literally install and start ingesting information into it from the word go. It was very simple to set up and to have tools to actually query and pump objects into it.

We implemented ourselves.

I would definitely recommend MongoDB. I'm hoping MongoDB will continue to be developed from strength to strength because I think it's an awesome tool. I hope that other products, like DocumentDB, will find a way to work with MongoDB to improve the overall stability of the product. It would be good if other services that host Mongo would become more readily available. It was very useful to actually have a hosted MongoDB set up that is maintained by Mongo Atlas.

I would rate it 9 out of 10 because we had very little issues and it did exactly what we wanted it to do.

What other advice do I have?

MongoDB Atlas was the deployment mechanism we went with and that was hugely helpful for us. MongoDB Atlas is part of the MongoDB suite, I think. It's just a deployment of the Mongo. We also deployed it on Amazon using DocumentDB, but we found that MongoDB Atlas worked better in the end.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)

Atlas
More MongoDB reviews from users
...who compared it with InfluxDB
Learn what your peers think about MongoDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.