Moogsoft Review

Improves the efficiency of our organization but it should have more artificial intelligence

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to reduce support request noise so that we can monitor and identify real issues rather than symptoms so we will be able to create tickets out of that with ServiceNow and enact more effective solutions. Moogsoft is a companion to how we envision using ServiceNow in an integrated fashion to improve the handling and efficiency of ITSM (IT Service Management).

How has it helped my organization?

Moogsoft used in integration with ServiceNow improves the efficiency of our organization. Noise cancellation means that we spend less time on issues which are simply the consequence of the real issue at the core of the problem. That is: some tickets report issues that are real issues for the user but which are not the real issue and core of the problem. The user just reports what they experience, but they do not try to root out the cause. As a result of using Moogsoft for analysis, we are much quicker to find and diagnose the root cause of issues and therefore we improve production, stability, and uptime of services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part of the product at this stage is the diagnostic capability in identifying what are essentially false results that steer us away from solving the actual problems.

What needs improvement?

Knowing what I want to improve in the product is a question I will be able to better answer in about six months time when I have experienced more of what the product can do. At the moment I think we are still getting ourselves familiar with the product and we are not close to using it to the full potential. It will take between twelve or eighteen months or so of using the product before we can really claim that we are actually experienced in the field of AIOps (Artificial Intelligence for IT Operations) and applying that type of solution confidently.

So far, I would love to see more artificial intelligence from the product — or maybe just call it analytics capabilities. Something that allows me to apply my own models on data. It should be easier to build out my own models in the application. I don't think that is included in the offering currently. So improving the analytical capability to be more predictive, intelligent and descriptive would be a benefit. Maybe a means to copy-paste so that I could attach my own models. But I'm not sure if the application already does that. Once I know what to do to add the customizations or applications in the monitoring, I will know better what issues I actually have and request to see in future releases. This type of thing can help create a knowledge database against other functionality so you could start executing and do even better in correcting situations.

So that would be an extremely powerful opportunity with an open-source application and evaluations. I don't know the best way to implement it. It might be to a true open-source interface to develop your own ways of inserting intelligence or analytical models. Then our thoughts could be exchanged between different companies, share, revise and test other solutions. That way things would behave like true open-source. Moogsoft would be the platform but having customers building solutions on their own allows them to propose solutions to the biggest issues. It is a potential pain point where companies might otherwise become disgruntled. Disgruntled customers are something which in the last 34 years has been a problem for IT. We have the opportunity to have it addressed in a more effective way. If we can hook up something like Ansible also through an application like Moogsoft to automate standard issues, you know exactly what you need to do. That would be extremely powerful and I think would give Moogsoft its next leg up in the industry.

Because of the lack of experience with the product, I'm not exactly sure how much of that it can already do. But that's something that I personally would like looking to and discovering over the next 6-12 months.

We have been using the solution for about nine months

With stability, so far as I can see, it is quite stable. It is meeting my expectations.

We're using Moogsoft as part of an enterprise solution, not just in my department but for other departments. We're just in the early stage of learning and deploying everything and I would love to have that process be a bit faster. Maybe that's something which we need to improve in terms of our configuration, I don't know. But the scalability is something which is either something I'd like to see improved or something which needs better documentation about how it should be configured.

Our user base should be in the hundreds eventually. Now not that many are using it, but potentially there will be many more.  If it goes as fas and as well as I'd like, it may be around a thousand people or so. But I think, as a solution, scalability is more about the devices it will handle than the users.

I really haven't had any experience with technical support from the Moogsoft company as I don't think we ever had to use it.

I haven't done the implementation of Moogsoft myself because I use it as part of corporate shared services. I'm sure I'm not the best person to answer how easy the implementation was. For my team to use it, it is straight-forward in that no one has made any comments about it being difficult to create the initial setup.

The multitenancy is a key element for what we want to do and I'm not sure how well that will work. If I am working with complex analytics that needs to work. Large organizations like ourselves where we have 100,000 devices. The solution will not be managed just by one team. You need to be able to have the security setup in a way that the process works. Really the complexity probably has more to do with the size of the organization than the product.

We did do our own on-premise installation as we are set up to handle that kind of thing.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, with one being worst and ten being best, I would rate Moogsoft a little lower than I expected when we originally adopted the product. The marketing is extremely good and sophisticated, but for me, it actually oversells the product. Because of that, I would rate it a six out of ten.

As far as advice that I would give to others who are looking into implementing Moogsoft, I would either recommend it or not depending on what they are looking for it to do. It really depends on what they want to be monitoring. For example, if they want availability monitoring, performance monitoring, capacity monitoring, security monitoring, data quality monitoring — there are so many elements of monitoring that need to be weighed and considered. Other questions will be if this will be a solution for the infrastructure, is it a business process, is it for application monitoring.

The dimensions are quite big, I think when you come back to the other question of what would I want to see from Moogsoft. In all those fields which I mentioned, you can build a matrix out of that. One dimension is the type of monitoring and the other is infrastructure, another is the application and business process. The user will really have to have a mapping of their approach on how they think they want to implement it. Capabilities that Moogsoft has could be way more powerful, but compared to the competitors, I think it is actually doing quite well.

So maybe my expectation is very high. I came up with a rating of six considering my expectations. But comparing the competitors, I might give it an eight. That is how I see it, and what I expect from a monitoring solution. So it's either an eight or a six. It depends on how your question was meant.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
author avatarmmilinko

@Consulti67

Thank you for reviewing Moogsoft. Glad to hear production stability, event noise reduction and ITSM workflow automation is making life a little better.

I would welcome the opportunity to meet and understand a few of the points in more detail. Customer Success is one of our key foundations, and we take that commitment very seriously. We have our Moogsoft User Conference coming up on Wednesday, October 30th in Chicago (https://muc.moogsoft.com/#agenda), please let me know if you can make it.

In case we don't connect, may I offer this information that should help address your rating concerns;

1. "Improves The Efficiency Of Our Organization But It Should Have More Artificial Intelligence" caught me by surprise.

Moogsoft has over 50 patents, with several working under the UI reducing the event noise hitting Ops teams, alert correlation for context and all data relating to an incident, presenting service assurance business-impact level dashboards or offering Probable Root Cause (PRC) to fix the incident before customer report any issues.

In a deeper dive by our Chief Data Scientist, Dr. Robert Harper shares one of the rich capabilities Moogsoft delivers thru AI: https://www.moogsoft.com/resources/aiops/webinar/understanding-aiops-prc/

Its sounds like the "... more AI .." comment may be a feature request for an open-source development toolkit ? You don’t need to be open source to allow users to build models off of their data. That is a roadmap discussion, and the local team would be happy to set that up.

This blog by our CTO, Will Cappelli will highlight the Moogsoft approach: https://www.moogsoft.com/blog/aiops/debunking-open-box-ai-machine-learning

2. "As far as advice that I would give to others who are looking into implementing Moogsoft, I would either recommend it or not depending on what they are looking for it to do. ... if this will be a solution for the infrastructure, is it a business process, is it for application monitoring. "

To respond to these 3 areas, with Moogsoft AIOps ;

- Infrastructure:
Moogsoft AIOps adds the critical layer of intelligence between performance monitoring and IT Service Management (ITSM) systems - including application, cloud service, and infrastructure monitoring systems - Moogsoft allows teams to proactively identify and resolve incidents before they impact business services. This is a core use case.

This short video of Mick Miller, KeyBank, Senior DevOps Architect highlighting how they migrated from over 20 siloed monitoring tools that were overwhelming the team to Moogsoft AIOps for their AIOps platform interconnecting all of their tools to provide real-time insight across the monitoring stack:

- Business Process:
Typically Moogsoft AIOps would leverage one of the out-of-box integrations like to ServiceNow as your organization has done for Incident Management. As your organization get more comfortable Im sure they will scope out Problem and Change Management as well. With 7.2 Workflow Engine introduced a UI to automate integration connection and workflows to make that whole process easier.

A great example of deep business process integration is the combination of AWS OpsCenter and Moogsoft AIOps to reduce the Mean Time To Resolution (MTTR) and improve service delivery of critical applications of their customers:

- Application Monitoring:
Typically we see our customers integrating with an APM like AppDynamics. A huge value-add comes from synchronizing the application dependencies mapping to the infrastructure and pull up the Visualize Situation view in the Situation Room. There you would get the topology map with the application map overlay to the nodes, ... with highlighted one(s) showing as Probable Root Cause. It's really a 'better together' solution.

3. "If we can hook up something like Ansible also through an application like Moogsoft to automate standard issues, ..."

Moogsoft has a Red Hat Ansible Tower integration today:

Please let me know if we can share any further information. We also have high expectations as well, and would welcome feedback on what we need to do to a earn a '5 out 5' from you.

Best,