MSP360 Backup Review

Flexible in terms of storage and cost and doesn't require firewall changes on the client's premises

What is our primary use case?

We are a small industry specializing in backup services for micro enterprises. These are organizations that have between 1 to 20 devices. About 95% of our clients have on-premises deployments. The backup agent is installed on the client's premises, but the backup target is the storage in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

One massive advantage of this solution, as compared to more enterprise products, is that no firewall changes are needed on the client's premises. For the product to back up from the client's premise to the cloud, it just needs port 8 and port 443, which are anyway always open. This was one of the things that made us decide to go with the product. It is very difficult to justify a firewall change for a small client who doesn't even know what a firewall is and how to maintain a firewall, or doesn't have anybody maintaining their firewall. You then have to maintain the firewall. MSP360 Backup takes away firewall change requirements, VPNs, or channels that are needed for the backup.

What needs improvement?

They can add some production backup capabilities and the ability to do single instance back up. At the moment, it doesn't do deduplication on the standard backup. So, the issue is backing up PSG files for customers who have limited bandwidth. The other issue is that I don't like the implementation of the SQL backup. We do use SQL ourselves using a PowerShell script with the VDA tools as a module. That's how we back up.

The rotation feature would be nice to have, but I know that they've got it on their dashboard or on their list to look at. They can also do a few tweaks to the dashboard.

I would like the reporting capabilities on the portal to be much more granular. Normally, I export it to a text file, and then I run it through a pivot table in order to look at it from a cost-recovery point of view and to see when the backup last ran and if it was successful when it ran two or three days ago. Such a feature would work really well for my market.

They can also add a cost-effective backup for Android and Apple cellphones. I've had one or two customers who were looking for this feature. I haven't found this functionality at the moment. I've been looking for a product that does that.

I have been using MSP360 Backup for a year and a half.

We haven't seen many issues with its stability. There have been one or two issues. The responses were really good from the support team in resolving those issues. The account manager is also quite active.

It scales well. I have got a client with a small backup of 2 MB. I have got a client with a 600 GB SQL database being backed up. I have another client who has terabytes on the backup. This may seem small from an enterprise point of view, but given my micro-enterprise customer base of 1 to 20 users, it is quite a nice spread. There are no issues in restoring any type of data. Obviously, the bandwidth becomes an issue, but what's also nice about this is that you can store the data. You can use local storage or a local S3 box as a secondary data store on the backup. You can also have multiple data storage attached for the backend for customers with a lot of data. I have 300 devices on the backup, and I plan to increase the usage.

Their support is very good. I am happy with the support.

I've used two products previously. The provider of the first solution started going to customers directly, advertising as a direct supplier, which I wasn't quite happy with. For me, if you want to service the industry market, then don't try to steal the industry customers. That was a matter of principle for me. That's the reason why I stopped using them. The second one required a contract on a yearly basis or on volumes. If your customer count goes down or up, it became difficult on cost, recovery, and flexibility.

It is very simple to set it up. We set it up for a customer in 5 minutes. Once you've got the storage configured, and the backup account created, our team then uses the customer sites, and I have a backup in 5 minutes.

It includes a standard licensing fee. Once a year, there is a rebranding fee.

The licensing costs are available on the internet for MSP360 Backup. There is a discount structure where if you have over 50 devices, you get a 50% discount. So, my cost is $2 a license per month.

What other advice do I have?

I have used two products previously, and I stopped using them for various reasons. I did my own research to find a product that would be applicable and useful for us. We eventually found it by attending an Amazon AWS open day, where I was explaining my issues to them. They said to me, "Well, have you looked at this product?" We said, "No. We're not aware of the product." I then went and researched it and decided to go for it. I then ran it through the test with one or two customers as a trial, and I liked the way the product worked, its flexibility on the storage and cost, and the way it was supported. The support is very good. The flexibility in creating backup jobs is very applicable to us.

I sell this solution exclusively. I have some other small productions that I sell, which have a small amount of support, but this runs about 95% to 98% of my business. If anybody is going to implement this solution, take it slowly. Support and customer interaction are key things. When a customer has a backup failure, I contact them telephonically and walk them through the steps to resolve the issues. It is not an email that goes to the customer saying that they have got a backup failure. If the customer does not notice the email, he would know nothing about this issue. The support I provide to the customers is proactive support.

The other key thing is the stability of internet connections, especially in the micro market. As a policy, I will not take any new customer that uses copper as an internet medium. In South Africa, we had DSL, which is officially in retirement. The lines are slowly being phased out in favor of fiber and wireless.

I would rate MSP360 Backup an eight out of ten. I rate it very highly specifically for my market. When comparing Veeam with MSP360 Backup, Veeam has got more features, but Veeam is also more complex to set up and run.

More MSP360 Backup reviews from users