MSP360 Backup Review

Has good online backup capacity because you don't have to do an entire back up again and again, it just does whatever you type in

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is that we have our confidential data which remains locally on the tape. But the public information which is required, which is for my system backup, including my photographs and all that stuff, we do on the cloud backup and I put onto the normal storage of AWS. This stuff we generally don't require for a long time, like photos. It can take a long time for retrieval but the cost is really low.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is its online backup capacity because you don't have to do an entire back up again and again, it just does whatever you type in, you type a, it goes a, you type b, it goes b. It doesn't take an entire site up again and again. So that incremental and bit by bit backup is important, it is a nice feature here.

Backup data to S3: Use Backup Plan wizard to create a block-level volume snapshots on a Windows
workstation or backup individual files and folders. With the wizard You can also:
• Create a schedule for your backups
• Encrypt data with a user password
• Configure retention policies
• Setup intelligent bandwidth consumption
• Windows, macOS, and Linux supported

What needs improvement?

As for what can be improved, some reports could be simplified so that you know how much backup you have done and what your backup details are. That report is available but it is very tough to get. I would like to know "today I have just uploaded 35 MB, tomorrow I have loaded 10 MB so my trend of backup is increasing." Sometimes it is not required but still I backup anything and everything. If I have the simplified reports available, then it is very easy for me to just find out.

In the next release, we need more analytics, like in machine learning and artificial intelligence. That includes how much data is going to be restored, what is the next step, how much inner data for this is going to uploaded. So the intelligence aspect should be more involved in the next release.

I have been using Cloudberry Backup for around the last six to eight months.

I have not encountered any issues with stability, it's easy.

It is a scalable solution, it is easy. Right now we have 100 plus people using it on a daily basis. We update daily.

We previously used NetWorker. But that was a feed backup, not a user backup or a cloud backup. We were searching for a cloud-based solution.

The initial setup is very simple.

For a user, it might not take more than 10 minutes.

I implemented on my own. It is just a small file. You just need to run it up and policies are already defined so it doesn't take much longer.

There is no maintenance. If there is any patch update, it is just updated online.

We did evaluate Druva before choosing Cloudberry, but the problem with Druva was that it doesn't have a local India data center to hold data and the regulator has come out saying that your data should not leave the country.

What other advice do I have?

One thing that I would recommend is first of all to do a classification of your data. That means that before each backup has to be done, most of the time people need to clean up their data. They just want to do a backup. If there was a feed backup where there would not be much cost when you go to the cloud backup, no doubt it is would be easy to handle backup retrievals and all, but everything here increases the cost. When we restore the backup, there is a cost associate because we're using the link and all this stuff. There is also a cost to retrieving it. That means the people first have to do the housekeeping of the data before it goes onto the cloud backup. The data classification has to be in order before going to the cloud backup.

Next is that you need to know where your stored data is being stored before storing it, whether it is in India or in Singapore or in the US. This you need to make sure.

Next is an SA link. That means your agreement about how much time it takes to retrieve, how much it takes to upload, etc. And finally is your internet speed, your internet bandwidth - what bandwidth you are using. Because once you do the cloud backup, your internet bandwidth has to be increased. So these are the things which you need to take care of.

On a scale of one to 10 - I would rate Cloudberry Backup a nine.

More MSP360 Backup reviews from users