Mule Anypoint Platform Review

Constantly improving to help connect applications, data, and devices

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we use the product for our retail platform to build our integrations. That is the main feature of what it does. So, it's an API (Application Programming Interface) and ETL.

How has it helped my organization?

It integrates better with our main platform than our previous solution.

What is most valuable?

There are a couple of valuable features in the product. API management is very useful. In general, the management of the application has been much better over time and it has improved a lot. The graphic interface became much better visually. Specifically, the monitoring capabilities are good because of the statistics and feedback it supplies.

What needs improvement?

As far as improvements, the runtime management in MuleSoft can be much better. It has some issues, or we have issues with it.

As for additions, the first thing that I want is for them to create their own connectors. That is very important. Other things beyond that are hard for me to imagine right now especially because they have a lot of features already that we are not yet using.

The stability is another thing on MuleSoft that can be improved. They introduced connectors for other platforms and sometimes the connectors are not great quality and they are not very robust. So that affects the stability and is an area where stability and the product overall could be improved as well. It isn't the product itself as much as the integration opportunities. The volume of products that the solution works with in one release version is affected when the platform changes. When they change to a new version all-of-a-sudden the connector doesn't work or works poorly. That can cause stability issues. Basically, when they roll out a new version, it seems they simply don't make enough consideration and do enough testing as to how it affects the compatibility with the connectors.

The customer service and technical support are unique compared to other providers. They are very involved, very responsive, and they are very eager to help and to provide what we need. Early on, I had bi-weekly calls with the support team and now we have just monthly calls. There is a very dedicated support team that works with us. Any time we brought up any issues, they send specific specialists that are interested to know more about specific aspects of the platform or if they need to discover more about the product usage. That relationship was driven by both sides and fulfilled by both sides. It was a very positive situation. It is kind-of a very client-centric approach to customer service and really nice. It is really different from the type of relationship we have with other vendors like Salesforce or even in general.

Before switching to MuleSoft Anypoint Platform we were using Talend Data Integration. We ended up choosing Mule over Talend for a number of reasons. There was easier adaptability for our current resources. The most important reason was that we had a reason to believe that the compatibility would be better because we were strategically using Salesforce as one of our core frameworks. Salesforce acquired MuleSoft and we were trying to avoid more problems by staying with a competing product in this situation. We hoped there would be more integrations between the Salesforce and MuleSoft platforms and that played a role in our decision. After that, we had a little bit of a price break. For our use case, MuleSoft seemed to be a better fit. Talend, in general, is a great platform but just did not fit as well for our use case.

The setup was pretty straightforward. I actually got very good support. On the presale, post-sale and to this day, we have a very interesting and kind of unique relationship with MuleSoft. I can see from the difference in our service than they maintain with other customers.

MuleSoft was involved in deployment on the initial setup of our deployment. And they were involved in the setup of the deployment processes like CI/CD (Continuous Information Continuous Delivery) practices. That's another good point that they have is strength in working through the deployment processes.

It was not so easy to do the configuration, but they supported us by helping to set up all the things we needed. In all, it was not just a push of a button. The cloud solution itself is nothing to start because you don't need to deploy it, but you need to do configuration before you start using it.

The product is one cost. Support comes complete with no additional cost even though they pay some special attention to us. We are not a huge client. I would say we are smaller than a lot of their clients. But they do have, as I understand, some interest to grow in Canada and build their local assets. It works out well for us because we have some benefits with the company.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anyone considering this as a solution is first to get to understand exactly what resources will be needed from an architecture perspective. It is important to know how the MuleSoft Anypoint Platform works, what are the limitations, and the kind of consumption gradient they need. The idea would be to acquire enough resources — not too much that you overspend for nothing and not too low that there are performance or other problems.

That was actually one of the good things about MuleSoft when we started to do our discovery or due diligence. In the presale process, a presale engineer explained some technical perspective on the MuleSoft solution and we were able to plan and handle it accordingly. They explained how their runtime how it works and what the provisions were. We had to decide how many cores we needed to get. They might delve into areas where we needed any additional explanation as to what they meant. They were very, very helpful because they assisted us in understanding instead of making anyone feel bad or have a difficult deployment because it was not so straightforward a process. They helped us to understand it and when you understand it, it becomes very easy from a planning perspective.

On a scale from one to ten, one being the worst and ten being the best. I would rate this product about an eight. It is not a ten because of the problem with the connectors and right now the pricing models. Sometimes with pricing, you need to understand what you understand and when you need to be careful. The pricing may not be good or bad I don't know. In our case, it is what it is and we are satisfied. The thing that I saw was that other people who are dealing with MuleSoft, who don't have such a great relationship and perfect support team, might have misunderstood the pricing model. Because of that, the customer did not know what exactly they need to get and how the product filled their needs. So MuleSoft needs to keep their level of client education up to the level they did for us.

Another thing with education has to do with training. There's not too much material on the MuleSoft cloud platform around anywhere. This is probably because at this point they have to do it by themselves because there is not a big community of users. It is very rare to find something on MuleSoft easily if you have an issue.

You always can find information on Google and sometimes you can solve your issues. But what I am talking about is something a little bit more organized as clusters of information and videos. I wish I could get information from dedicated community platforms. It is maybe not something that they feel they can address, but maybe they actually can. Maybe they can create some kind of relationship with information and training platforms to introduce some awareness of their product.