Mule Anypoint Platform Review

Easy platform to work with and scales well vertically

What is our primary use case?

I've been developing Mule applications and have been using Anypoint Studio for development purposes. I have a Mule Anypoint Studio for the certification to test knowledge of the Anypoint Platform in the cloud. I've never been in a live situation for deployment within the cloud.

We use Mule for daily activities like for domains like retail, eCommerce and the wholesale department. So most of the daily basic integration, ETL jobs when we have eCommerce, they do it in the USA. There are different time zones. In the Belgian system, you begin getting the insights using or doing analysis on the data. It enables us to have real-time integrations. Data flows from different domains as well as ETL jobs and for real-time integration.

There were too many stores to make and to work on one platform, so this was the main purpose of use. There were different texts coming in and other things in the stores. They had to scan them and when they passed this information to other domains, like eCommerce, for example. All these jobs were running at a specific time.

What is most valuable?

Rapid API development using RAML, with contract first approach. It is easy to visualize real time mocking service and making it available in portal for end users, during requirements phase.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, customer support is a bit slow. I emailed the sales team for a pricing comparison, still no response. The developer community is far more generous on the other hand. Pricing model is very expensive, Mule should consider Pay as You go model. It will help on-boarding new clients in Asia region.

Mule should have better B2B integration. Mule supports the idea of API Led Architecture and system of records approach. When it comes to broad perspectives such as B2B, competitive tools have better EIPs.

I have been using Mule Anypoint for a year and a half.

I was recently researching the cost of scalability purposes in the cloud. For vertical scaling, it's good but the horizontal scaling along with the enterprise is not very good. Horizontal scaling is good in the on-prem system. But I think this is a limitation in all the cloud services providers. That's why the hybrid version is the buzzword nowadays, but for horizontal scalability, the on-prem servers are more flexible and in your control.

Instead of reaching out to customer support, I generally reach out to the Mule community. My peers will answer my questions.

I used an open source tool. Red Hat Fuse. Switching from different tools and technologies depends on the project in hand.

From a developer perspective initial setup is quite easy. From an executive  perspective, it is difficult.

What other advice do I have?

The pricing is a bit high for clients. As a developer, and my superiors and architects agree, that this is the easiest tool to use. I've worked with two configuration technologies, one was open-source and there is a huge difference with this. This is the easiest and best tool available. Mule should consider lowering the price.

The should make improvements for B2B enterprises

I would rate it an eight out of ten as it's a very good product.

4.2
More Mule Anypoint Platform reviews from users
...who compared it with elastic.io
Learn what your peers think about Mule Anypoint Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.