Mule ESB Review

Valuable features API management, Connectors & Flow tuning

What is most valuable?

• Routing
  • Enrichment
  • DataWeave
  • Choice of connectors
  • Light weight containers
  • Packaging and deploying
  • API management
  • Scalability and load balancing

How has it helped my organization?

• Ability to integrate disparate systems with a seamless movement of data on-premises and in the cloud
  • Gives the power to make decisions and quick market penetration
  • Provides the time to build and release new features
  • Has Agile driven builds

What needs improvement?

• Limitation on external subscribers to listen to the messages on the bus.
  • VM queues and memory/thread management need more stability.

I have been using this solution for over five years.

Not major issues but there are some rare version compatibility issues with connectors.

We did not encounter any stability issues.

No issues with scalability. Especially the Cloud deployments can scale on demand and are seamless and reliable.

Customer SLAs are one of the top priorities at MuleSoft and they have been supportive in every situation.

I found technical support to be very resourceful and experts are at hand.

We switched because this solution was found to be cost effective, freely available for community edition, and an easy transition from any programming background.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward with few easy steps.

In-house

Get your basics right about your requirements and plan ahead especially w.r.t volumes, any premium connectors to be purchased and a rough estimate on integration touch points to get some idea on the overall cost.

Plan your licensing model (cloud or on-premises or hybrid) that will allow seamless integration with new partners.

We looked at Apache Camel, Fuse ESB, Dell Boomi, and TIBCO.

What other advice do I have?

Plan your use cases and set your expectations on the features that need to be implemented.

It is an ESB that can deploy seamlessly on-premises and in the cloud with strong API management and governance and has a strong integration with open source products like JBPM and Drools if these features are part of your requirements.

More Mule ESB reviews from users
2 Comments

author avatarit_user852315 (Senior Technical Recruiter at a professional training and coaching company with 201-500 employees)
Top 20Real User

Hi There,
Gasping at your brilliance! Thanks a tonne for sharing all that content. Can’t stop reading. Honestly!

We are very excited to announce the GA release of Mule 4 and Studio 7, a major evolution of the core runtime behind Anypoint Platform. Mule 4 enhances application development velocity with up to 50% fewer steps and concepts to learn, including: a simplified language for connectivity, clear access to data, automatic tuning, and smoother upgrade processes.

By the way do you have any YouTube videos, would love to watch it. I would like to connect you on LinkedIn, great to have experts like you in my connection (In case, if you don’t have any issues).

Please keep providing such valuable information.

Many Thanks,
Irene Hynes

author avatarit_user845028 (Staff Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees)

Hi Nagesh,

I love all the posts, I really enjoyed.
I would like more information about this, because it is very nice., Thanks for sharing.
I just started the MuleSoft tutorial. In module one, video titled, "01 Introducing API-led connectivity with Anypoint Platform”, I went along with the tutor to create an API in API Manager in Anypoint Platform. However, I could not find any buttons to create a new API as shown in the video.
I understand these videos are old, so I went through the pdf files as well, but no walkthrough was given for this. If this is happening because my environment in the API Manager is set to Sandbox, then I already changed my default environment to Design, but the change is not reflected back in API Manager.
THANK YOU!! This saved my butt today, I’m immensely grateful.

Cheers,