Mule ESB Review

There are already defined endpoint components such as HTTP, JMS, and FTP.

What is most valuable?

There are many already defined endpoint components such as HTTP, JMS, FTP, etc., and these are the main tools for communicating with various services. By having these, developers just need to concentrate on the functionalities instead of making modules to talk to other services.

How has it helped my organization?

I am not sure about how it has improved the way my organization functions but certainly with regard to simple integration, development speed is faster than writing from scratch.

What needs improvement?

The HTTP request connector should have the ability to change the hostname on the fly instead of the URL endpoint only.

I've used this product for eight years from Mule v3.0 to v3.8.

We had an issue in v3.4 with clustering but as of v3.7, MuleSoft has fixed the problem.

Scalability depends on how an application using Mule ESB is designed and so far, we haven't had any issues with the scalability.

The technical support is OK and I've never really needed it.

The setup is straightforward in terms of deployment and environment setup.
Just download the "mule-esb runtime environment" zip file and unzip under a particular directory. Then a Mule setup is done. To deploy an application, just drop a Mule app into ${MULE_HOME}/apps along with the properties file under class path, then done.

It is getting expensive and I recommend clients to use Camel ESB if enterprise support is not required.

If a cluster is not required, then just buy the non-clustered version.

I've been in a consultancy environment for a long time and knew various frameworks and tools already.

What other advice do I have?

Make an architectural plan in depth before implementing a solution based on this product. Otherwise, it might cost far more than expected.