MySQL Review

Has a lot of documentation and bug fixing is better in the latest version

What is our primary use case?

It is deployed on local servers, and we are using version 8. The whole company uses our database. Our users don't communicate with the database directly. They use a web interface. All programs are deployed using MySQL. We have hundreds of thousands of users accessing MySQL via the website. Two of us manage the database, but it's enough for only one person to manage daily operations.

How has it helped my organization?

As we are using the latest version of the database, it has many functions that have improved it. There are many new features in this version, and it is more powerful in what it can achieve.

What is most valuable?

MySQL has a lot of documentation, and bug fixing is better in the latest version.

We have been using MySQL for about 20 years.

It is very stable.

MySQL is scalable. We didn't scale it via the database tools provided but on the program side. However, it is easy to scale it using the functions provided with the product.

The support is fast and helps to find faster fixes to existing bugs. They recently advised us to downgrade to fix one particular bug, which resolved the problem we were having.We only use technical support for bug fixes, and the calls are usually closed quickly.

I was able to install it myself in about half an hour.

MySQL is free.

We have also used PhpStorm and DataGrip.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that others use MySQL. I would rate it 10 out of 10.

More MySQL reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.