MySQL Review
It provides a low cost and effective SQL DB solution for smaller companies. Replication does need improvement though.

Valuable Features

• Speed
  • Cost

Improvements to My Organization

MySQL provides a low cost and effective SQL Database solution for smaller companies that don’t require the overhead and cost associated with RDBMS tools like Oracle

Room for Improvement

Replication and HA features, but that is to be expected at this entry point

Use of Solution

10 years.

No, the deployment of MySQL is very easy as it is usually a part of Linux distributions and most hosting services provide a MySQL database as a part of their hosting service.

No, MySQL has always been a stable database. If there are sufficient resources on the server to run the database it will do fine.

None that I have run into. For really big databases I have always used Oracle.

There is plenty of support available on the internet. I have never really needed to use or activate a support contract for MySQL.

Before using MySQL I used Oracle and Informix for RDBMS.

The initial setup was easy as there is usually a version distributed as a part of the Linux distribution.

Implementation Team

I have always implemented MySQL through and in house team.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The initial setup cost and maintenance costs are built into the OS costs for all of my implementations and are insignificant.

Other Solutions Considered

I usually look at MySQL, PostgreSQL and Oracle.

Other Advice

MySQL is a great RDBMS, but make sure it will integrate with all of the clients you will be using and the rest of your infrastructure. The problems usually have more to do with other products supporting MySQL than MySQL itself.