MySQL Review

It provides a low-cost, high-availability solution without complex active/standby management using Linux HA. It should provide detailed debugging with transaction IDs at the application level.

Valuable Features

This product’s most valuable feature to me is active-active (multi-master) cluster support for MySQL.

Improvements to My Organization

We have been using the multi-master solution from the Percona cluster. It seems to work as expected.

We use it as an embedded component of a solution we sell. It has provided a low-cost, high-availability solution without complex active/standby management using Linux HA.

Room for Improvement

It should provide detailed debugging with transaction IDs at the application level to understand deadlocks, especially under bursty workloads.

It should also provide partitioned tables and a clustered index, like Oracle, to take advantage of inherent parallelisms in the application domain.

It does not scale well when there are concurrent requests. Making changes to binlog and transaction log settings improves scalability at the cost of reliability.

It has decent support.

Other Solutions Considered

This product’s active-active cluster feature was the reason for choosing it.

One of the reasons PostgreSQL was not considered – a decision taken before I joined the company - was its lack of mature multi-master cluster support. It also lacked other popular ports (e.g. MariaDB, Percona, etc. in MySQL).

Other Advice

Ensure that it meets your scaling needs, and has features for handling parallelism in the application.

More MySQL reviews from users