MySQL Review

Offers SQL Merge, Replication, and Views. I would like to see additional side management tools and IDEs.

What is most valuable?

• SQL Merge
  • Replication
  • Views
  • Stored Procedures
  • Triggers
  • Cursors

This is just like the enterprise grade Oracle DB. MySQL now supports replication (master-master or master-slave) of our DB to support our company's multiple geo-locations and PoPs.

It supports the original Oracle SQL operations such as Merge, as well as the creation of Views to your tables. This brings additional convenience to our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit for us is that it's totally free, unless you need to pay for support.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see additional side management tools and IDEs.

I used this current version for one year. I used previous versions for over ten years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

We didn't need any technical support. I would guess that Oracle support is top-level.

We did not use a solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was straightforward, user-friendly, and easy. In most cases, if you use the Linux-based versions, it comes as a standard Linux package. You can get it installed by using AptGet, Aptitude, or Yum.

Just pay for any license if you need some enterprise support for your project or any additional support tools that Oracle ships with the enterprise version. During the development stage of your project, you can just use the free community edition.

We evaluated MSSQL, Oracle DB, Informix, and MariaDB.

What other advice do I have?

Go with the Linux version. It is more stable and manages the system resources better.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners, developing applications together.