MySQL Review

It is open source and AWS provides a managed solution. I would like it to catch up with proprietary technologies.

What is most valuable?

It is open source and AWS provides a managed solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Amazon has come up with Aurora, a MySQL hybrid that has helped us get up to speed without actually thinking about MySQL underlying optimizations.

What needs improvement?

Catching up with proprietary technologies like Oracle and PostgreSQL is the challenge right now.

We have used this solution for over four years.

There have been no stability issues yet.

We code for horizontal scaling and hence the only thing that becomes important is the number of connections. The data can be easily replicated in real time on Amazon replicas themselves. We have a dynamic solution to read data from replicas and not from a master instance. That is how we scale.

I would give technical support a rating of 10/10.

We did not use a different solution before.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Keeping something similar to AWS, and as easy as Amazon, will be the best thing for any small business like mine.

I did evaluate other solutions, but MySQL stood out because of its ease of use. Perhaps my prior experience has made me be biased towards MySQL.

What other advice do I have?

Until you have expertise in data migrations and what you are doing with data, MySQL can be really easy and dangerous at the same time. MySQL doesn't give you a warning about data truncation if data types don't fully match. Be really careful on that front.

MySQl community edition from AWS in the form of RDS
More MySQL reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,768 professionals have used our research since 2012.