MySQL Review

We can now have many standalone databases where every developer can perform local tests

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the fact that the product is cross-platform, because it reduces server TCO, for my small company. This is very important.

How has it helped my organization?

Without MySQL, we used a single centralized database.

With MySQL, we can now have many standalone databases where every developer can perform local tests.

What needs improvement?

Improvement areas are Security and ORM, for example:

It may be interesting to check the user-level access rights at the row level and a robust support to JSON model object (like NoSQL database).

I've used MySQL for 12 years, since 2005. I chose it after using MS SQL for years. It is more suitable for the projects that we make.

No, never.

Yes, the many index restrictions in case of partitioning the tables.

I do not know yet. I've never used technical support services, only the community

Yes, I first used Microsoft SQL Server, then I went to MySQL because the cost is lower.

The initial setup is straightforward, especially in a Windows environment.

There is no cheap commercial license for standalone applications.

Yes, I have evaluated other database solutions. I have evaluated PostgreSQL and MongoDB.

1 Comment
Charlita DalebjörkReal User

Thanks for a good review
Many developers wants to have micro servers with micro sized databases. But that doesn't necessarily means that these micro sized databases will be a unique MySQL instance.

17 February 18