MySQL Review
Allows us to share virtually created database instances

What is our primary use case?

I'm a tester, an optimization tester. It's basically when the developers have the back-end in SQL. We go and test it out for them and check that the table updated correctly, and we do something on the front-end.

How has it helped my organization?

To give you an example, initially we didn't have a database server as such, and we had to make use of some database. Now we use something where we can share the instances of the database which were created virtually, which is a very good feature, which I felt has improved our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most important features would be querying, the query language where you have the data definition or data modification language, as well. In some cases, we have to create our own tables for testing purposes. In that case, having SQL Server is much easier compared to what's available.

What needs improvement?

I feel that some tools which make it easier to create queries or make it easier for other functions would be really interesting to see.

More than five years.

Pretty much since we have our own in-house SQL branch, the administrators are there, so they take care of the stability with the product. As far as I've seen, there really hasn't been much of an issue with stability.

It's pretty scalable.

I haven't contacted them, so I have no experience with them. We generally have an internal team which would work on it. So our point of contact is an internal team, rather than going to MySQL.

I've used a lot of different solutions. MySQL is one of the top among them. Usability and scalability are some of the reasons we went with MySQL.

It was pretty straightforward. No hassles with the setup.

Usually the setup is done by the IT admin guys, but it was pretty straightforward. The IT admin guys had to come in and give us the rights to install it.

I'm not sure about pricing, I don't deal with the pricing. It's an organization decision.

There were many options.

What other advice do I have?

No one tool fits the bill for every company. Do a feasibility study, and get to know what is can do before going in and developing.