MySQL Review

Has the ability to run on any operating system

What is our primary use case?

We utilize the DB as a data-repository solution for our front-end applications. The solution gives us the ability to run numerous instances on various geographical cloud servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Yes, MySQL has improved numerous processes; it has given us the ability to create applications without absorbing major costs.

What is most valuable?

• Its ease of use
  • It's secure.
  • It's fast.
  • It has high-end processing.
  • It can distribute across clouds.
  • It has the ability to run on any operating system.

What needs improvement?

• I think a better front end would be a better solution (web application front end, similar to what Red Hat is doing to Fedora).
  • Another nice solution for MySQL clustering would be the use of Webmin.
  • Also, security measures could always be improved, and the clustering process could be enhanced as well. I recommend using UFW, iptables, and firewalld.

The solution works extremely well. It is easy to install and works on any platform. The price is good because we utilize various versions of the software/DB.

If the user sets up DB up using MySQL Cluster (creates a grid type of design), then we find the solution from a hardware perspective using NVMe, NVMe-oF, 10GE network connections, and 32-100GB of DDR4 memory (dependent upon customer requirements).

Scalability can be initiated using high-speed connections across IPv6 connections (IPSec AES-256 ESP/AH VPN connections without purchasing VPN concentrators — this can be done at the network layer).

We use various versions, but most of the time this is based on the client's requirements.

After the initial training, the installation worked pretty well. I would suggest setting it up in a lab. This gives the user room to test the installation and configuration process. It is recommended to use PhpMySQLadmin — (https://www.phpmyadmin.net) — after the installation process is completed.

It was implemented in-house. Most of the applications are tested in our cloud and on-premise servers.

60% ROI (There are DLs — direct labor costs and overhead costs, but once it is set up, we image the configuration and deploy our designs in docker).

I would suggest testing MariaDB before jumping in. This will give the user the ability to test the DB before using it. It is very easy to set up. MariaDB is free, and licensing is based on GNU.

N/A.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest running tests against MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MS SQL to determine which one best suits your needs (cost, development, and integration should all play in your decision-making process).